There is no doubt that keeping your guests safe is an integral part of the vacation let investment process. But over and beyond basic steps that you will need to take to provide a safe, welcoming environment for your guests, what can you do to safeguard your investment?
In a perfect world, security would not need to be an issue. Like it or not, the majority of cities all over the world require some level of security, and that includes Cape Town. There is a fine line between locking up your vacation home like it was a maximum security fortress, and simply putting a few simple measures into place however. In this guide, we will explore some of the ways that you can safeguard your vacation let investment, to ensure that your guests (and property) are kept secure at all times.
Safeguarding Your Vacation Let Investment
Security means different things to different people. When it comes to any vacation let investment however, security means putting a few basic features into place that will provide full peace of mind… for you AND your guests. Between the rise of vacation rental scams and the worries about crime rates, property damage and other potential risks, it has become more important than ever to consider security strategies in this industry. Failing to install adequate systems can be a mistake that costs more than just money.
Some of the steps that you can take to ensure that your investment stays safe include the following:
- Alarm system. Alarms on their own are not sufficient. They will need to be connected to a reliable, reputable armed response company as well. While the sound of an alarm is sadly a very familiar sound in most urban areas, it can be effective. Panic buttons should also be provided, along with motion sensors and other features that enhance the effectiveness of the alarm system.
- Smart locks. If your budget allows, you may want to consider smart locks that provide key-less entry. This will allow you to have full control over who enters your property, and when. There are a number of systems available for smart locks – do your homework to find systems that are reliable and simple to use.
- Deadbolts. Key-less access is one thing; tried-and-tested-deadbolts however are still the simplest, cheapest and most effective form of locks for doors. For starters, deadbolts can be locked from the inside. For another, they are far harder to pick than traditional locks, which can theoretically be opened with a skeleton key. They are also embedded deeper into the door, making them tougher against attempted forced entries.
- Motion-activated lights. These may seem like overkill. Yes, they might get set off by marauding felines or other nocturnal creatures. For the most part, these lights are designed to pick up on movement from human beings. As soon as movement is detected, the lights will automatically switch on, surprising would-be intruders and making it a lot harder to sneak around in the dark. As such, they can be a good deterrent that makes your property seem less of a worthwhile target.
- Security cameras. This can be installed by your security company as part of your overall package, or installed separately. For larger properties set on bigger gardens or land areas, this can be a very effective tool. Even for smaller apartments and villas however, security cameras have a two-fold benefit. Firstly, you will be able to view external activity, visitors and potential intruders. Secondly, if set up in living areas, you will have backup in case of guest damages or theft. This is a fairly controversial measure that needs to be handled delicately. Protecting your guests’ privacy is highly important if you choose to add cameras to the property interior – make sure that guests are aware of the cameras well in advance to ensure that their rights to privacy are not violated. If external cameras are out of your budget, you can also use decoy cameras that are placed in visible locations on your premises.
Another way to ensure that your vacation let investment remains secure and expertly run at all times is to work with an experienced short term property manager. Having someone to assist with setting rules for guests and deal with problem guests, while also providing a full range of services, from marketing to booking management, day to day management and guest concierge will be the best way to get complete peace of mind.
To find out more about working with a dedicated manager, contact Totalstay today and let us know how we can take your vacation let investment to the next level.