Short term rental for the business travel market includes a wide range of properties, for individual travellers as well as groups. In Cape Town, business travel makes up a growing portion of the overall travel market. Thanks to world-class facilities such as the Cape Town International Convention Centre (CTICC), and an abundance of conference venues situated across the city, the area attracts a large number of corporate travellers. The Cape Town CBD is home to a number of international and national headquarters, with a diversity of industries represented.
Much like holiday travellers, corporate travellers have unique needs when seeking short term rental accommodation. Depending on whether travellers are in town on their own, travelling with co-workers or travelling as part of a larger group, this market may require compact apartment rental accommodation or a more spacious villa. In this mini guide, we take a look at some of the short term rental requirements that business travellers typically have to find out how to make your property business travel ready.
Short Term Rental Optimisation for Business Travel
How do you attract corporate travellers to your short term rental? Better yet, what factors should you consider in order to get the most from this travel market?
Some tips to keep in mind include the following:
- Connectivity is essential. If you do not already offer free WiFi, now is the time to do so. International business travellers frequently travel to destinations all over the world. As they are working during their stay, they cannot afford to be offline. Free WiFi allows your guests to continue working with minimal interruption. This is not a luxury feature – it is a basic feature that guests expect. In addition to WiFi, you will also need to ensure that you have adequate plug points within your property. Invest in international chargers and plug converters so that guests can plug their laptops in right away.
- A study or office is also important. Will your guests have somewhere to work? Even in the smallest of studios, a fold-out desk will be appreciated. If space allows, a separate office or work area will be an excellent selling point on your listing. Make sure that there are plug points near the desk or work area. It’s also a good idea to set up your wireless modem in the work area to ensure a strong connection. Printers, phones and fax machines can also be useful. For extra brownie points, keep a set of stationery on the desk.
- A stocked fridge will always be appreciated. Travelling for business is exhausting. Arriving after a long flight to find a stocked fridge will make your guests feel at home right away. If possible, find out in advance what foods your guests prefer. This can do wonders to improve your reputation as an Airbnb host. Make sure that there are also snacks and other staples in the kitchen.
- Optimising your listings for business travel is a good idea. Gear your listings towards corporate travellers. Instead of highlighting tourist attractions, include nearby conference facilities, car hire, banks, foreign exchange desks, courier companies, print shops and other amenities. Mention your free WiFi, fully equipped office and lock-up-and-go convenience.
- Consider 24 check-in. This is not always possible, but for travellers who have strict flight schedules to follow, it can be incredibly useful to check-in outside of traditional hours. Flexible check-in times can be done with the help of a lockbox, doorman or keyless entry.
- Small details make a big impression. Don’t underestimate the power of the smaller details. Gift packs with toiletries, fresh, warm towels, fruit baskets, irons and ironing boards, hairdryers, extra hangers, fitness centre visitor passes, dry cleaning vouchers (or services) and similar additions will help your guests to feel at home even when they are a long way from their families.
One of the best ways to ensure that your short term rental is business travel ready is to partner with a trusted short term property rental manager who will be transform your property into a world-class destination that attracts top calibre guests. To learn more about short term rental the Totalstay way, contact us today and arrange an evaluation of your property.